Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Missing Piece of Childhood

I have a confession: I have never read Harry Potter.

Around the time Harry Potter came out I was still resistant to reading, and by the time I was open to reading I found Harry Potter insulting. Why did I find it insulting? Honestly, I don't remember. I just know I loved witches to the point that I took everything I read about them as fact. Well, as factual as one can take any fantastical creature (and before anyone points out that there are witches; they're just not the ridiculously powerful kind you see in movies, TV, or books; I am aware). For whatever the reason, I thought Harry Potter betrayed what witches, warlocks, wizards, etc. were supposed to be.

Then I got older, and I realized I was stupid.

Even so, I didn't bother reading the series because by that point the hype was so big I didn't want to be disappointed. Then eventually it just became a matter of: What's the point? I was no longer the target audience, and I had been subjected to many birthday parties filled with Harry Potter spoilers as my friends discussed the latest release.

So why bring this up now?

After struggling to write from a child's point of view I decided that this week between writing and editing I will read the first book in the series.

Not going to lie. I'm a little excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment